Monday, March 9, 2009

Yes, I make my own baby food!

This is the baby food maker that my Mom bought for me the last time she came to visit.  It is called the Beaba Babycook.  They told us at William Sonoma that they can't keep it on the shelves, and I can see why.  It is wonderful!  I never thought I would be the type to make my own babyfood, but I love it.  Mainly because it is so easy to do with this thing.  It steams the food, then purees it in the same machine.  And it will defrost frozen food.  Best of all, it is super easy to clean.  I am still trying to master getting the texture just right - if it is not smooth enough, the babies aren't too crazy about it.  So far, we've tried sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, peaches, and pears.  Bananas are up next.  

Of course, the babies are only eating solids once a day right now.  It may be harder to keep up with it when they are eating three times a day.  The funny thing is that this machine is made in France, and the instruction book included some "gourmet" recipes - things like chicken, potatoes and eggplant, and salmon, potatoes and zucchini.  I'm not sure I'm going to go that far, but  I'm having fun with it.

Here is a picture of the carrots I made the other day - how beautiful are these?


1 comment:

Betweendiapers said...

Hi! I just ventured into making baby food too! My mom and dad gave me their vita-mix that they weren't using and I love it for making food! Isn't great to see the veggie with it's real color and not the color it becomes in the baby food containers (especially the greens). Your little machine looks very cool!