Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Soccer Star

As you may have heard, Evan attended soccer camp all last week. Monday through Friday, three hours every morning, nothing but soccer fun. He had a blast, and did a terrific job. He was the youngest one there, and the shortest by about three inches, and I was nervous at first that he wouldn't be able to keep up. Silly me. He was the fastest one in the 5-6 age group, and was one of the best players. Each of his coaches told me how impressed they were with him, how he was so far beyond where a five year old should be, and how he is going to be a really great soccer player some day. They gave him the MVP award for the 5--6 group, and he was so proud. It was good for him to play against boys who could keep up with him for a change, and we came away with some good ideas of how to work with him this summer. And, it was quite a vacation for me. My mom came down to watch the babies so that I could take Evan every morning, so I got to spend 3 hours every day sitting under a tree in the shade reading my book. When will I ever get to do that again!

Here are some highlights:

Look how much bigger those kids are ...

warming up
(Evan is the one in the middle with his legs spread!)

At the end of the day - tired but happy

It's a major award
(yes he does need a hair cut! Soon...)

No comments: