Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Baby A



Oliver Wesley Vaughan
a.k.a. "Doodlebug", "Cuddles"
Born July 10, 2008 at 2:46 pm

As the babies will be turning one on Friday, I thought it would be nice to put together a little slideshow and retrospective on each, starting with our first born, Baby A, Mr. Oliver.

In addition to being the first born, Oliver was the largest, at a whopping 4 pounds 7 ounces. I remember being so shocked when they showed him to me briefly during the C-section, as I hadn't realized that they had already started yet! He did well that first day, with just some supplemental oxygen to help him out, but then he began to struggle with his breathing, his lungs were too immature. I will never forget being woken up early by a very serious looking doctor that third morning in the hospital. He told us that Oliver was really struggling, that his lungs were not making enough surfactant to help him breath on his own, and that they wanted to put him on a ventilator. It scared us to the core, and I could hardly bear to look at him strapped to that machine. After two days, his lungs finally started to kick in, and he soon caught up to his sisters. It was an entire week before I was able to hold him for the first time, and I'll never forget how special that moment was, and how grateful I felt.

Although he is perfectly healthy now, and has had no respiratory issues, his sisters have quickly surpassed him in size and weight. He is the smallest by far (at last weigh in he was only 18 pounds - this was over a month ago). And he is by far the cuddliest. I don't know exactly what it is about him, but every one who meets him gets the urge to squeeze him and hold him close. Until recently he hardly ever cried, he just sat back and let the girls do all the complaining. He is very laid back, and easy going, and loves attention. His favorite toy is the exersaucer, in which he will happily bounce for hours on end. He is still commando-crawling, but he is now superfast at it, and follows Kate around tirelessly. He also loves to play with balls - he will pick one up, throw it, chase it down, and repeat himself over and over again.

Although he has a good appetite, he is not crazy about food with texture to it. He hates chunky stage 3 baby food, won't try anything squishy like bananas or cantelope, loves to throw his Perky-Os (gluten free version of Cheerios) on the floor, and the only table food he will consume is a gluten-free animal cracker. And he is the messiest eater of the bunch - usually emerging from meal times with big chunks of baby food in his ears and hair. And just when we thought he was the sane, normal one of the bunch, he recently started doing this trick where he makes his hands into fists, gets this crazy half-smile, wide-eyed look on his face, and squeezes his hands and arms as tight as he can until he shakes. He looks absolutely crazy. I really don't know where this bizarre behavior came from, but he knows I laugh when I see it, so he uses it as an attention-getter. Really, it's hard to describe. I'll have to get some video of it.

Oliver is truly a sweet boy, and it is hard not to draw comparisons to his older brother. He definitely looks just like him - if you compare him to Evan's baby picture from this time you can't tell them apart. He is also sensitive like Evan - and will cry if you raise your voice or scold him. But I so look forward to seeing the differences. I definitely have a soft spot for my little guy - partly because he reminds me so much of Ev, but also because it is impossible to look into those soulful brown eyes, and to watch the way he crinkles up when he smiles, and not melt.

1 comment:

Pam said...

aww, my oliver is my sensitive one too. :)

happy birthday to your trio!