Monday, October 12, 2009

Suriving Triplets - Number Four

Man, I've come a long way in the past year and a half. I never in a MILLION years thought I would say what I am about to say, but here it goes. I like my minivan. No, I REALLY like my minivan. I swore for most of my life that I would never, ever, ever drive one of these things. Never. When we first found out I was pregnant - before the ultrasound and the lifechanging news - I had pretty much convinced John that we could keep my Prius and fit two car seats into the back seat. And then we had the ultrasound and found out we were having triplets. I mourned my beloved Prius for at least three months.

I have to tell you that your options are very limited when you need to fit four car seats into one car. We could have gone with a Suburban or an Expedition, but two things convinced me to go with the Honda Odyssey. One, I really do care about my energy consumption and the Odyssey has a better energy efficient record than other comparable vehicles. Two, and more importantly, it is so much easier to get into the back of an Odyssey than into the back of a Suburban. Especially carrying very heavy infant carriers. Those suckers are heavy! The sliding door and the middle seat that slides over to give you extra room have been essential for me getting out and about alone with these babies. In case you were wondering - no we cannot fit three infant car seats with bases across the back row. We have Kate and Evan in the middle row, and Oliver and Willa in the back, with just enough room for one skinny person to sit in between.

And, one more sheepish admission - the best thing about the Odyssey now that the babies are 15 months old and don't like to sit still for long - the built-in DVD player. Another thing I swore I would NEVER have but Oh my God it's awesome!

Note to readers - I'm sorry it is taking me so long to get through my top ten list - so many things are going on here. But, I am posting the rest of my list this week, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Loooooove love love my Odyssey too! I never thought I would love a minivan either, but having triplets is difficult enough and it's so much easier and convenient to have a minivan. I'm thrilled to have one!